Full equal rights will come, love will prevail.
In Europe, Austria’s High Court ruled same-sex couples can marry from 2019.3
More widely, the European Union’s top court ruled that gay married couples have the same rights to live in any country within the EU bloc that they like, even if gay marriage is illegal in the member state they live in.4
Campaigners and activists have been working tirelessly to change the legal standing of the LGBTQIA+ community in Kenya, with the decriminalisation of same-sex sexual activity to be decided on by the High Court in May.8 Kenya’s decision will set an important legal precedent as Botswana and Malawi have similar hearings later in the year.
Looking towards IDAHOBIT and beyond
The good news is global LGBTQIA+ rights are trending in an upwards direction. Even so, rights in several regions are under threat and will need unwavering commitment from people, communities, charities, NGOs and governments to withstand this hostility.
LGBTQIA+ people, and people living with HIV, have shown extraordinary strength and resilience in leading the charge for equality. Positive Action, through the MSM&T programme, is proud to support these communities in pursuit of a better, safer world. Diversity should be celebrated.
At Positive Action and ViiV Healthcare, we are dedicated to supporting the LGBTQIA+ community, and look forward to May 17th when we can celebrate IDAHOBIT alongside our colleagues, partners and communities.
- Human Rights Campaign. Available from: https://www.hrc.org/blog/trinidad-and-tobago-high-court-overturns-law-criminalizing-same-sex-relatio. Last accessed: March 2019.
- Reuters. Available from: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-costa-rica-lgbt/love-will-prevail-costa-ricas-same-sex-couples-can-marry-in-2020-idUSKCN1NL06T Last accessed: March 2019.
- World Economic Forum. Available from: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/06/lgbti-rights-around-the-world-in-2018/. Last accessed: March 2019.
- Politico. Available from: https://www.politico.eu/article/european-court-of-justice-sides-with-same-sex-couple-over-residency-rights/. Last accessed: March 2019.
- BBC. Available from: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-45429664 Last accessed: March 2019.
- Reuters. Available from: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-lgbt-lawmaking-feature/gay-couples-to-live-more-freely-with-thai-civil-unions-idUSKCN1PX00E. Last accessed: March 2019.
- Human Rights Law Centre. Available from: https://www.hrlc.org.au/news/2018/4/20/australia-now-has-adoption-equality Last accessed: March 2019.
- The Guardian. Available from: https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2019/feb/22/lives-are-hanging-on-the-line-kenya-halts-landmark-ruling-on-gay-rights Last accessed: March 2019.